“A Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) is a knowledgeable, skilled and professional primary maternity care provider. Certified Professional Midwives are trained and credentialed to offer expert care, education, counseling and support to women for pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period. CPMs practice as autonomous health professionals working within a network of relationships with other maternity care providers who can provide consultation and collaboration when needed. All Certified Professional Midwives meet the standards for certification set by the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM).” — National Association of Certified Professional Midwives
Care with Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs)
The Birth House provides holistic midwifery care to all people who fall within our low-risk scope of practice. At The Birth House you can choose to give birth in your own home or at our free-standing birth center. Our home-like facility offers you a quiet, relaxing place to give birth in the way you choose. The midwives at The Birth House have many years of experience working with families who desire a birth experience that not only culminates in the birth of a beautiful, healthy baby, but leaves them feeling fulfilled and empowered by the process of bringing their child into the world.
As Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs), we are experts in normal, physiologic pregnancy and birth. We are skilled in preventing complications through health promotion, education, emotional and physical support. We believe each part of a client intricately and integrally effects the whole. In this way, clinical and laboratory assessments are valued with equal weight and reverence as are emotion, lifestyle and dietary well-being. We do not intervene in the process of physiologic birth unless needed. We do monitor you and your baby’s well being and strive to hold a safe space for you to give birth through trust and confidence in your body’s innate ability.
Midwives are experts in normal birth.
In the United States, Certified Professional Midwives provide expertise in normal physiologic birth and provide critical assess to birth in the out-of-hospital setting.
- Midwives receive extensive training as primary health care providers
- We tailor health care based on your individual needs and desires
- Our scope of care allows us to provide full-service prenatal, birth and postpartum care.
- We have a foundation in normal physiologic birth and are trained to monitor you and your babies health and recognize signs which fall outside of our low risk scope of practice.
- Informed decision making is a key component of our care. Midwives believe deeply in listening and supporting women’s choices by learning about you and your values. We do our best to provide you with up-to-date evidence based information so that you can make a truly informed decision regarding your health care options.